Last updated: 05/24/2016 - 12:52 AM UTC
The Mets had a busy and curious day yesterday as far as transactions go. Here’s a list of what they did yesterday:
- Recalled Fernando Martinez from AAA Buffalo
- Sent John Maine to minors for a rehab assignment
- Designated Connor Robertson for assignment
- Released Bobby Kielty
- Designated Wilson Valdez for assignment
- Released Wily Mo Pena
- Released Javier Valentin
- Sent Ken Takahashi to Buffalo
- Placed Carlos Beltran on the 15 day disabled List (Bone bruise, right knee)
- Recalled Pat Misch from Buffalo
- Purchased Elmer Dessens from Buffalo
The move of Martinez to replace the injured Beltran makes total sense so I won’t comment any further on that. Likewise Maine’s rehab assignment.
The designation of Robertson is no big deal since he wasn’t going to be of much help to the team on the major league level anyway. Likewise the release of Valentin. And the demotion of Takahashi can be explained by the lack of confidence manager Jerry Manuel has in him right now.
Pena’s release is also puzzling. He wasn’t really costing the team anything but could be useful down the road. The rumor that he requested his release after being leap frogged by Nick Evans for a promotion last week, if true, would explain this move.
I can’t help but think that some of these moves were done to accommodate an upcoming transaction. Could there be a trade in the Mets not too distant future?